Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kara Walker

“I knew that if I was going to make work that had to deal with race issues, they were going to be full of contradictions. Because I always felt that it's really a love affair that we've got going in this country, a love affair with the idea of it [race issues], with the notion of major conflict that needs to be overcome and maybe a fear of what happens when that thing is overcome— And, of course, these issues also translate into [the] very personal: Who am I beyond this skin I'm in?”











I love Kara Walker's work, it explores race, gender, identity,violence and sexuality. I had the pleasure of being able to see her lecture at the SFMOMA in 2005. She captured the audience so easily with the way she speaks about her art, her process, and her subjects. In the the Second Youtube post, that is a podcast between Kara Walker and curator Gary Garrels ,they begin to talk about the idea of "failed revolution" around 5:48- this idea really intrigued me. Read more about Walker in this article done by the New York Times.