Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anna Von Mertens

Frida Kahlo's aura, with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird
The Duke and Duchess of Urbino's auras, after Piero della Francesca
Kurt Cobain's aura (Zoe's), after Elizabeth Peyton
Mary Cassatt's aura, after Degas
Mona Lisa's aura, after Leonardo da Vinci

Anna Von Mertens' hand-dyed and stitched cotton textiles really struck me when I first saw them. But there was definitely a part of me that was very cynical when I read that they were aura portraits of the dead who are portrayed in art historically significant paintings- it came across as a bit too "new agey". Martens' also admits that "The tension of belief informs this work."
So then after some thought, I knew there was also a side of me that definitely feels an energy when around art ...And what's the problem if someone maps the aura of those that have past through abstract textiles? -especially when they are this beautiful. seriously.