Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Devin Troy Strother




Devin Troy Strother is not only an interesting artist- he is funny and quite charming.  I say that after reading a couple interviews with him online. Every write up I have read so far comments on his titles all of which teeter between silly and serious - very much like his work.

 Picturing the straight-laced, uppity tiers of the art crowd asking for the price on "Yassmine Guuuurl Stop Staring at Yourself All Day, You Such A Vain Bitch" is a beautiful image, but there's more to the artist than his titles... 
 The art world's fascination with Strother's titles, however, reveals a disturbing fetishization of urban slang. "I feel like people are paying for my titles just as much as they are paying for my work," Strother told The Superslice. "It’s fucked up, it’s broken Ebonic English, it’s ghetto, packed and framed in a pristine manner, and that’s how people like it." HuffingtonPost